Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

I have a question concerning a 2003 Honda CR-V. When I brake

Customer Question

I have a question concerning a 2003 Honda CR-V.
When I brake for a short time, my ABS light comes on, but turns off immediately once I stop braking.
If I brake for a longer time, then other lights come on (SRS and emergency brake) and my dash lights, CD player and clock turn off. Again, once I start moving again everything returns to normal.
Obviously and electrical problem. Any ideas what might be causing this problems and possible solutions?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 9 months ago.

It's quite common on these for it to be nothing more than dirty and calcified terminals at the battery, in the first instance I would remove the battery leads, clean both them and the terminals on the battery and see how that works.

I would have an auto centre do a free battery and alternator test in case the alternator is struggling.

If possible, it would be worth checking the earth leads to the body from the battery and removing then reinstalling the fuses and relays in case of any poor connections.

I hope this helps you, if so please rate five stars :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** give that a try. Just use brillo or sandpaper to clean the terminals?

Use the sandpaper inside the terminals, it's easier than the brillo but either on the terminals.

Some battery terminal grease would be good, failing that Vaseline if on a budget has been believed to help (in places I've been)

I hope this helped, if so please rate five stars :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had the battery tested and the result was good. It appears to be the charging system. At idle, under load (headlights on and A/C and fan at maximum) 11.7V was measured. Under driving conditions the battery charges just fine, it is sitting in traffic that the problem begins. Does this isolate the alternator as the problem or are there other possible causes to check in the charging system?

It would appear that your alternator is weak and has low output at low revs, as it is working at higher revs (it seems) I would conclude that the control systems from the ecu are working and that it is time to replace the alternator.

Please rate if this helps you :)