Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto

The motor goes Ratatat. Always starts and runs smoothly. But

Customer Question

The motor goes Ratatat. Always starts and runs smoothly. But the Ratatat seems to be getting a little louder. Again the car runs great but the noise from the engine clicking is getting louder--what do you think? Thanks
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Heck no! LOL. I just wanted some honest information and wanted to see if the noise I am talking about sounds like a timing belt problem just sounds like a loud rattle inside the engine and the faster I press Excelerator, the rattle gets faster too
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using just answer. Now without hearing it is it like a clackng noise kinda like an old mill machine running, you say it gets louder with throttle which leads me to beleive you have a lifter noise or top end valve train. Has the engine ever run low on oil or had a bad oil leak and how many miles are on it. Timing belts make noise but usually if they are not installed correctly and not the type noise you are describing. Have you had an oil light and what is the service history like on the engine?

If you havent owned it very long pull the oil dipstick and look closely at it if you see a burnt varnish appearance on any of it usually will go up the whole stick that is signs of oil not being changed properly and that can stop up a screen and remember the lifters and valve train suffer the most under any of these conditions becasue they are the last to receive oil. and if i am correct and that is your noise it would require removal of the cylinder head to repair but there could be an underlying issue such as low oil pressure so you would want to check that first with a mechanical gauge and monitor it while driving the car. How many miles on this engine

Hello can i help you further