Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Light clunking sound sometimes multiple little clunks when

Customer Question

Light clunking sound sometimes multiple little clunks when shifting or getting off gas and back on suddenly I've changed front motor and manual transmssion mount.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's more of a strut failing kind of clunk or like play in the drive train or suspension
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Set the parking brake and raise the rpms to 2000 then let out the clutch close to stall in 1st and reverse while another watches the engine and transaxle for excessive flex to make sure the remaining struts and supports/mounts are fine. If thats good then raise the vehicle and by hand check for worn out axle shaft CV joints. Next check the suspension and steering joints and bushings. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did notice that my driver side cv joint boother near the wheel hub had some black grease around it and when I have it jacked up and rotate the wheels forward and backward I can hear a click kinda coming from the center. I also noticed both front tires can be moved in on both sides if you grab the tire on the sides and move it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I meant to say cv joint boot above ^
The grease is a leaking CV joint boot, do not worry till there are blobs of grease coming out.When jacked up and turning the wheels you may be hearing slack inside the differential, some is normal though there is no spec for it while fully assembled to see if its excessive.The tires should not move tilting and or pushing in while off the ground, that would indicate a steering or suspension joint or bushing bad or faulty wheel hub bearing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wouldn't it have to do with the tie rods?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
about the clunking, I don't know if this has to do with the same problem but when its shifted usually from 1st to 2nd, 2nd gear kinda shudders when accelerating.
The tie rods have joints on both ends and are part of the steering joints I mentioned prior in case you did not notice that line.A shudder when changing gears would not be related to this concern, that would be a clutch slippage issue or a engine running concern like a subtle misfire.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do you check for worn cv axles? Would u just wiggle it up and down to see if there's play if it's bad?
You check them by hand, pushing them in all directions and holding them on both sides and turning them opposite of each other to see if the joint has slack.