HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have a 2001 Honda civic lx coupe and it has an oil leak, a

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Honda civic lx coupe and it has an oil leak, a transmission leak, and possibly an exhaust leak. I believe the transmission and oil leaks are simple gasket problems and it's possible that the exhaust leak could simply be oil leaking into the downpipe and burning. The only reason I suspect that there is an exhaust leak is because when I bring the car to a stop I get white foul smelling smoke coming out of the hood is small amounts and i can see small whisks of it coming from somewhere around the interface between flange of the downpipe and the flange of the exhaust manifold. I recently replaced the exhaust manifold and have definitely installed the gasket correctly at flange so am unsure how the smoke is coming out of that area. Also i can hear the lawnmower noise of the engine when I accelerate which i think indicates a leak in the exhaust flow system. I need help diagnosing the leaky gaskets and a procedure to replace them.
Category: Honda
Expert:  eauto replied 6 months ago.
is the motor oil soaked?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is in places pretty caked in oil. Also i took a few photos of the engine for your reference and spotted the culprit of the "exhaust leak". In one of the videos I found oil POURING down onto the downpipe and a miasma of white smoke bellowing from the oil streaming down the hot downpipe. So I really just need help diagnosing the oil leak and my transmission leak and a step by step guide in fixing them.Here are the videos I took: https://youtu.be/m-D5Vdj2AOU
https://youtu.be/E1l1nC3Yf3o
Expert:  eauto replied 6 months ago.
can you degrease it and find the source of the oil leak?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well it looks like its coming from mainly where the head meets the block so im guessing its a head gasket or maybe even warped heads which means removal and probably retiming. do you have a procedure list of the steps in order? also on the transmission leak it looks like its coming out of the interface of the bell housing and the engine block. is there a gasket there i can replace? or is the transmission leak probably a larger job?
Expert:  eauto replied 6 months ago.
is it oil or atf at the bellhousing?