rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a honda cr-v 2000, it has about 250 000km and

Customer Question

i have a honda cr-v 2000, it has about 250 000km and ibelieve my clutch is getting to a breaking point...i checked the trans. oil and i'ts dirty but its not low, when i drive a while, especially downtown and when i change gears a lot sometimes the clutch will get really high and i'll have a hard time putting it into gear. i'ts the second time it happens within a month..i just got the car, my dad gave it to me, i have mechanic experience and could probably do it myself as i have acces to a full on garage, do i have to take it out to be sure it's the clutch? should i just get the trans rebuilt? can you give me clues on what to check to makesure it really is the clutch?
Category: Honda
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. You need to pull out the trans to see if the clutch is indeed bad. If it looks all good, then you can address the trans but it does sound like a clutch to me. It not an easy job to do without a lift.Thanks, Ron