Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.

93 Honda Accord - replaced clock spring reel assembly in

Customer Question

93 Honda Accord - replaced clock spring reel assembly in effort to restore cruise control & intermittent SRS light activation. No issues in replacement with OEM part. New issue - SRS light comes on with ambient mid day temp where vehicle has been sitting in sun. No light in morning and evening/night. Could this be 1) battery related, 2) SRS-ACM, 3) fuse? where to troubleshoot?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are describing is not likely caused by a bad fuse and in order to determine what is causing this you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ron - I appreciate your responding to my inquiry. I reviewed the information you provided and tried to verify it applies to my specific SRS module. According to my VIN part search I have part 06772-SM4-A80. The test cable referenced is a $44 + shipping purchase. So with this information I drove over to my local Honda dealer. The have been clear my vehicle's age is a problem for service. That said, I asked what they would charge me to run the voltage test assuming I pulled the console myself for access. Their response $144 ($100 more than the cable would cost me). A used warrantied replacement SRS module locally is less than $40 if I can confirm my part number. So - my plan is to pull my center console next weekend and verify (if possible) the part number. I don't want to close this inquiry just yet because I don't know if it my plan will work.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
No problem, the post remains open as long as you need me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ron - I had a free hour today and won't for the balance of the week. So with my hour I thought I would pull the SRS unit to verify the part number - and get it ordered. When I replaced the clock spring, I followed the SRS wire harness to what I thought was below the radio. So thinking access was under the radio, I removed the two section center console. Realizing that got me now where I spent the balance of my available time removing the radio. I still can't even "see" the SRS. I'm starting to understand why the dealer charges $144. I have 2 pictures to show you if it would help. So - how do I get to the SRS unit on this 1993 accord? I'm leaving early in the morning and won't have email/internet access till next Monday 05/30.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
See the factory removal steps in the link below .