Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

In December 2015, clutch was replaced on my 2002 HONDA CRV;

Customer Question

In December 2015, clutch was replaced on my 2002 HONDA CRV; mileage was 157,150. R&R clutch p,plate & t.o bearing (850.), Clutch set(pplate, to bearing & disc) (415.), flywheel 316.), oilpan(158.), engine mount (98.), crankshaft seal rear (12.) to equal $1,9671.
In 05/2016 (5 months later), clutch would not engage as before in Dec,2015. Same company, Japanese Auto Care, Inc. Boca Raton, Fl. replaced R&R Clutch, P.Plate, & T.O.Bearing (415.). Clutch set )PPlate, to bearing & Disc) (415.). I find it hard to believe that in 4 months the clutch goes in the identical way. Please Advice. Miss Honore' McIlvain
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 6 months ago.
Yikes, Sorry to hear you are having issues with the repairs from a previous shop. Before December 2015, how long have you owned the car? There are a few issues that could cause premature clutch failure, but just so I am on the same page, when you say the clutch would not engauge, you could push in and out on the clutch pedal, and you would not move, correct? Let me know the answers to these questions and that will greatly help out answer your main question. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You are correct in that both instances the clutch could not move in 1st, 2nd,3rd,4th or 5th.
I hate to say it, but at some point, Its not the clutch that is the issue. There are a few issues that could be causing this, The first one is there is fluid going from a clutch master cylinder down to a "piston" that pushes a level that moved the throw out bearing (which they replaced) If that has dirty, or contaminated fluid, or is not working correctly, that can cause steady pressure on the clutch face. Also, when installing the clutch and pressure plate if they do not Torque down the pressure plate bolts to the right torque spec AND in the right order, that can cause abnormal wear on the clutch disc and cause premature failure like you are seeing. It really sounds like to me either they are using VERY cheap parts, which the quality is garbage, they are not fixing the root cause of the clutches failing so quickly such as the master cylinder, or adjusting the clutch pedal its self, etc. etc. or its the Tech. working on the car not installing the parts correctly. From someone who runs their own shop I really hate to say it but my guess from my years of experaince is they are missing the root cause of the clutch failure and they need to look elsewhere besides just replacing the parts again. I know this is not exactly what you want to hear and I can only imagine you are beyond frustrated but I hope they try to make the situation right for you. I know I threw a lot of technical info at you in my reply, please feel free to ask any questions you have. Also please do no forget to rate my service since that is the only way I get credit for helping you and it is how the website tracks my performance over time. Once you rate my performance, this post will remain open so you can come back and ask questions and ill will do whatever I can to help you. Thank you!!