Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Honda insight: My 2000 Honda Insight grinds down-shifting into

Customer Question

My 2000 Honda Insight grinds down-shifting into 2nd or 1st especially. unless clutch is v good at least disk should be replaced while apart. ?cost estimate? also gas mileage 'only' high 40's to 50 MPG instead of 60-70 MPG. What are chances of this being upper O2 sensor.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda vehicles. Please remember to rate or accept my service while the Q&A is in progress or after we are done. Either way your question will remain open after the rating so you can get all of the advice you came for! If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. It does not cost extra to accept or rate positive it's how the site knows when to compensate me. Grinding when down shifting is most likely worn syncro rings inside the transmission. They align the gears to make shifting smoother. When worn you will get the grind because the gears are not properly meshed when the shift lever is moved to select the gear. Before spending the money on a transmission repair I would replace the transmission fluid with Honda manual transmission fluid (MTF). I have seen worn out Honda fluid or non Honda fluid cause grinding gears. The Honda MTF is specially formulated for Honda transmission. If the syncros need to be replaced it would be a good time to replace the clutch, labor cost will be only a little more to replace it while the transmission is out. Transmission repair without the clutch $$1200 including the clutch parts ans additional labor $1500. Fluid change with Honda fluid $100. I bet replacing the fluid will eliminate or drastically reduce the grinding. Cost for just a new clutch would be approx $800. The O2 sensor might cause reduced mileage. Usually the check engine light will be on with a O2 sensor code but not in all cases. A worn sensor can act slow not correcting the fuel mixture fast enough. It would be worth a try replacing the primary(upper) O2 sensor. Cost for a Honda part with labor is $300 the sensor is $266 from Honda. Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If you have any questions after rating feel free to ask!Thank you,~Cliff
Sorry should clarify this: total for transmission repair including the clutch is $1500. Not $1500 on top of the transmission repair. The repair I estimated is to replace worn syncros and any bearing that might be needed or a basic manual transmission overhaul. Thanks again,~Cliff
Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If you have any questions after rating feel free to ask!Thank you,~Cliff