Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Honda accord: 2000 honda accord stalls after it starts, but

Customer Question

2000 honda accord stalls after it starts, but I have to accelerate for it to start. Other symptoms are that the vehicle smells rich with gas fumes, they are sprinkled specs a black soot on the ground by the tailpipe, and I have a code reading that tells me I have a misfire on these cylinders (P0301, "02, "03, P0300, P01399).
This is what I've put in so far:
Spark plugs
Air fuel sensor (upstream)
New distributor cap and rotor
New fuel pump (the old one was terrible)
New fuel pump main relay
Cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner
Cleaned the IACV with carb cleaner
I'm stuck with no clue
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. What size engine do you have?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Either engine you have you may just need to get the valves adjusted up. Was this done recently? I do believe honda recommends this service every 30,000 miles. If the valves are too tight/loose, it can and will cause a stalling, misfire and rough running condition.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Another possible cause would be a leaky fuel pressure regulator.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, I was having trouble logging in. My engine size is a 2.3. It began last week. I've been working around the clock trying to get it on the road.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not checked the valves
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
No problem about the delay. I would check the valves next. You can check engine vacuum to see if the engine is breathing properly or not. It should read 21 inches of solid steady engine vacuum at idle. If the needle is fluctuating or if it is reading lower that 21 inches at idle, this is a good sign that the valves need to be adjusted up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have the equipment to measure vacuum. However, I can attempt the valve adjustment.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Sounds good! I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!