Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Very much so JA: Sometimes things that you think will be

Customer Question

Very much so
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2002 Honda Accord v6, after someone changed my spark plug wires my engine was idling him, the exhaust had a rich smell to it, when we pulled the spark plugs come to find out, it was flooded with gas. By this point I was only able to go maybe 10 miles an hour and driving it was very jerky and accelerating it wouldn't do anything but seem like it would shift hard and loose what little power it had. Well I bought the correct spark plugs and replaced them and then ended up having to replace a could pack and we cleaned the egr valve, the air control valve and replaced the fuel pressure regulator sensor and it idles beautifully but when you put it in gear it's back to what it was doing prior minus being rich in gas and blowing black smoke. The codes it's throwing is still saying random misfire and then showing all 6 cyclinders. We pulled the spark plugs again and they were black. Well 3 of them were I think it was the 3 in the front of the engine. We tried unhooking the battery to reset the computer but that didn't work. It's getting no power at all or very little power. Can't go over 20 now. I don't know what else to do.
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, the second time we pulled the spark plugs, like I said 3 were black and 3 were not. Do I need to replace them or what? I'm so lost
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: That's everything I already have so much invested in it in 2 days trying to fix everything and figure out what's wrong but nothin is working. Before I wanna go and spend more money and purchase more spark plugs I'm thinking that maybe we need to pull the fuse for the ecu and try that. Even thought j thought removing the negative ground from the battery did that but it didn't work. I don't wanna go and pay to have it flashed because like I said I'm spent. I've read how to do it myself but would it help? Or am I looking at maybe the o2 sensors or the catalytic converter or what?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: No that would be it. At least that's everything I can think of. Oh and we replaced the throttle body and throttle body spacer 4 months ago. Other than that nothing else. The only light on the dash on is the check engine which from what I understand is the emissions system.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Sorry for the long delay, do you still need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, after more research I am leaning towards the iac valve sensor and resetting the computer again. From what I can tell is that I solved the problem of it getting too much gas but not the oxygen problem. If it isn't that then it's the o2 sensors or the catalytic converter. What do you think?
My current thoughts are fuel pressure is incorrect. the air filter is clogged, the MAF/MAP sensor is reading incorrect, plug wires are routed wrong, catalytic converter clogged. Can you check the filter, and fuel pressure, and confirm the plug wires are correctly routed first off? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris