sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Slight knock or rattle on first start up. Doesn't make noise

Customer Question

Slight knock or rattle on first start up. Doesn't make noise after the first start of the day
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Engine makes a slight rattle or knock on first start also vtec doesn't seem to be very good and engine seems abit sluggish at around 3000 rpk
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not sure might change vtc gear aswell
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Iv only had it 2weeks and been launched like it since I bought the car so not sure if vtec is working properly or not?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 5 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please provide the VIN number for this vehicle? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry can't atm it's a 2005 Honda civic type r ep3
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Found it it's shhep33505u202440
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where are you located?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Shropshire England uk
I am unfamiliar with this model so I will open the question up for other experts.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!A knock from the engine could be quite a few things. It could be a rod or main bearing issue, piston slap, timing chain noise, or possibly a valvetrain issue. A valvetrain issue would usually cause more of a ticking noise rather than a knock though.Have you determined what area of the engine the noise comes from?How long does it last after startup?