Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Accord EX: .. I sustained a small dent in my Honda Accord,

Customer Question

Hello.. I sustained a small dent in my Honda Accord, 2006 EX Sedan 3.0. It will not open and the latch is pushed in (hoping to just pull that carefully back out in line with hood release).
What is the first step in replacing the hood? Where are the bolts located? I have a good hood on order, and two male friends who are going to try to get the hood off and put the new one on. Thank you!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Once the hood is open, there are 2 bolts in both rear corners holding the hinge to the hood. Remove those bolts, and the hood will come off. Then transport the latch striker and insulator. See the link here to see those bolts and how to adjust the replacement. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But how do we get the hood open in the first place?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are the removal hood bolts UNDERNEATH the hood entirely? Are here side bolts that lift the hood to get to the main bolts?
Sorry I did not realize you were asking about that as well.You will need to go through the grill and attempt to get the latch unbolted from the radiator support so the hood can be lifted enough to get the latch to release the hood.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So as I understand it, the key to getting the hood to open at all is only through manipulating the latch, which is pushed in, and is bolted to the radiator support?
That is correct however, being the hood is going to be replaced. I would be highly tempted to just cut a hole in it with metal shears to access the latch.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That makes EXCELLENT sense! Brilliant.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assume one would have to be very careful in cutting so as not to damage any other interior parts, or is there enough space not to have to worry unduly about the cutting into the hood? Are metal shears like this only available at garages?
You can get metal shears at Lowes for about 15$. You just need to drill a starter hole to get the shears into and cut right above the fan area.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris