Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

Honda Pilot: any honda experts?

Customer Question

any honda experts?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description sounds like the lock cylinder is about worn out, eventually either the key won't turn at all and or the key will get stuck in the ignition and won't turn. You can try WD-40 on the key and in the cylinder. What happens is the pin tumblers wear and get stuck in a position away from the low spots in the key and the switch won't turn. The lock cylinder is replaced as a unit on the steering column. The shear bolts can be turned with a punch to remove. I found a video for the Pilot Ignition Replacement on an '05 Pilot, same procedure applies. After replacing the lock cylinder the dealer or a locksmith will have to program the immobilizer system so the vehicle will start. If you would like the service procedure let me know. WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.