Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

This is Brian who you helped 4

Customer Question

This is Brian who you helped 4 years ago with a problem with my 1995 Honda Odyssey, whose PRND dashboard indicator lights were malfunctioning, the key was stuck in the ignition switch and the gear lever was locking up in the Park position. Back then, you successfully pointed me to a worn Gear Position Sensor that was causing all of the aforementioned. Since then, I did an engine swap and replaced my F22B Non-VTEC engine, with a VTEC F23A. To accomplish the swap, my local auto technician and I also replaced the engine wiring harness and ECU with the appropriate harness for the F23A but we had to mate that harness to the existing under-the-dashboard harnesses. I suspect that there is a mis-match somewhere as, since the swap, the Honda Odyssey occassionally goes into Safe Mode, the "P" and "N" indicator lights both come on when the gear lever is shifted into Neutral, and the "2" indicator light comes on when the gear is shifted into Drive. The "D4" indicator does not light up in any position of the gear shift lever. To enable me to attempt to diagnose where we may have gone wrong, can you send me a Schematic Diagram of the wiring for the PRND Indicator Lights for an Odyssey that DOES NOT HAVE A DASH LIGHTING DIMMER SWITCH, as all the diagrams that I found on the Internet, shows the "D4" indicator wired via a Dimmer Switch. My 1995 Honda Odyssey is a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) model which did not come with a Dimmer Switch.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I would first make sure all connectors are connected properly with no bent pins in the connections causing this issue here.I have seen bent or damaged terminals in connectors cause this issue here needing replaced to correct this fault.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete, thanks for stepping in, as I was wondering why I was just left "hanging" without even an interim response, after I had paid my deposit. I appreciate your intervention. Its very late now, so I will check that connector tomorrow and revert to you with my findings. What I would also appreciate very much, is if you can procure and e-mail to me, a Schematic Diagram for a 1995 Honda Odyssey PRND Gear Position Indicator Lights for a vehicle that did not have the Dimmer Switch as a feature. This was my primary request for this log, as I would like to attempt to verify that in splicing the old and new engine harnesses together, (and one of the places that this was done, was at the Gear Position Sensor Connector) the wires were not mismatched. Hope to hear from you again, soon. Brian
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Here are the only diagrams I see and show for this here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete, thanks again. The last (5th) URL that you sent,, looks like it could aid my situation but to do so, I also need the diagram for the "A/T Gear Position Indicator", as in several places, that schematic advises "See A/T Gear Position Indicator". Hope that you can supply same. Brian
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
This is the only other info I have on this here.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again Pete. I will try making use of the information supplied and revert to you on my progress. Will rate you then. Signing Off for now. Brian
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome