Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. domestic and imports. Class A collision tech

After running normally, and sitting week, I tried starting

Customer Question

After running normally, and sitting for a week, I tried starting it and it just started turning over really fast. Faster than normal.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well I had a mechanic look at it and at first he thought the timing belt was broken. He checked and said it was not, and then did a compression test on it. And found three out of four cylinders had lost compression.
JA: Timing belt issues can be costly unless you get the right info at the right time. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the info you need to get this figured out ASAP. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe. It depends on how much time is involved.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: It does have 198000 miles on it and the timing belt was changed three years ago at about 150000.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site..What is the year make model and engine of it please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2000 Honda Civic, 1.6L
I see, thanks. .Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. On the cylinders with no, (or low) compression, do you know where the air comes out if you blow shop air into the cylinders? (with the piston at TDC)..I have seen the intake valves stick opened on some after sitting over night. However, they had some stale fuel put in them and it varnished the valves.If the air comes out the intake or the exhaust, the valves are just stuck opened. .Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He never told me. What I guess indeed to know is if the timing belt jumps timing can it cause this condition and can it cause other damage to the engine like bent valve stems and broken pistons?
Yes, that is an interference engine and if the timing belt were to jump time or break it will bend some of the valves. Of course it is not very likely for a timing belt to jump out of time because the belt has cogs in it that fit into the sprockets on the cam and crank shafts. Thanks.Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****