Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

It has more to do with the keyless entry fob JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

it has more to do with the keyless entry fob
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i replaced the battery in my honda keyless entry fob but as soon as I close the casing, the car alarm sounds, the light on my fob goes solid red for 10 seconds or so then that light goes out. none of the buttons work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have purchased a new battery, a cr1616 3-volt
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. From what you have described here there is an internal short in the key less remote/fob itself.I have seen these short out internally before and had to actually replace it for this issue here.In some cases you can open it up like you had to install the battery and see if you see any corrosion (this would indicate it does need replaced for sure) or any issues with bent metal battery tabs or tabs on the circuit board/panel in the remote that you may be able to bend back.In most cases you may not see anything that can be manually repaired though and the remote usually needs to be replaced to correct this fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete