eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase technician

Odessy: 2000 Odessy Engine light comes on. Replaced sensors

Customer Question

2000 Odessy Engine light comes on. Replaced sensors on the gas tank, engine compartment, put a new canister & purge valve. I reset the engine light & 2 days later it comes back on. I'm at my wits end. Can you help? John
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The engine light indicates EVAP........I cannot put anymore $ in it. It runs beautiful and has 253,000 miles on it. I've brought it to 2 allegedly great mechanics to NO AVAIL.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also replaced the gas cap.......
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
can you tell me the codes?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I'm sorry....The mechanics know it. They just said it was the evap. sorry
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
did they smoke test it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes... Smoke came out at the gas tank. They replaced 2 sensors there.
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
is the tank itself leaking? did they re smoke test it after?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No the smoke stopped after they replaced the sensor. The smoke test did not indicate any other leaks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It takes 2-3 days after the engine light reset, then it comes on again.......
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
can you get me the code #
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to bring it back tomorrow, I can get it then.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I get in touch with you tomorrow John? Its the only code that mentions EVAP.
Expert:  eauto replied 5 months ago.
The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causesif you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure