justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

Air conditioning not working in 2011 Honda Accord, just installed

Customer Question

Air conditioning not working in 2011 Honda Accord, just installed new coil, and compressor is engaging when Ac button is pushed. Put my gauges on and it held a vacuum for over an hour so no leaks. What's next?
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 7 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. When the compressor engages what are the HIGH and LOW side pressure readings while the a/c is operating?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Low side was at 70 and high side was Only up a little but when AC was engaged low side didn't move and high side shot back to 0. Never equaled out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Proper lines never got hot or cold when adding refrigerant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did we disconnect?
Just left work and I'm on my way home. Those pressures aren't good. If the high side went to 0 when the clutch engaged this is very strange. Let me get back with you in about 30 minutes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good
When you say the HIGH side was "only up a little bit" do you mean it is only a little above 70, or it's only up slightly higher than 0?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Slightly higher than 0, but I don't know if these numbers pertain to the problem due to the fact I was only getting readings while filling. I heard of some relay in the under hood fuse box for the Ac, but I never saw a faulty compressor that still sons when turned on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Spins when turned on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Anything electrical that can be checked?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still there?
still here. Give me a moment.
If the high side pressure is not at least 50 psi the system should not activate. The pressure switch sends a signal to the computer and reports the pressure. Do you have a set of gauges where you can see the pressures while the system is operating?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not at the moment. That's the bad thing. Could a faulty relay have anything to do with this, or have you ever heard of a broken compressor that is still engaging ( was engaging when trying to fill system with gas ). Obviously won't engage now due to no freon.
Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.With the symptoms you are describing I don't think a relay is the problem. It sounds like the compressor is engaging, but the system is not cooling (there is no cool air coming from the vents). What might be going on is there isn't enough refrigerant in the system to cool well, but just enough to allow the compressor to engage. I'm not sure what sort of gauges you were referring to earlier, but you should never introduce refrigerant into the high side while the system is activated. This can cause damage to the system. How much refrigerant did you put into the system?You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting at no additional cost. Thanks!
Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer. If you have any more questions about this just let me know. Thanks!
Expert:  justinsbg replied 6 months ago.
any news here?