HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

I have replaced the ignition switch; it does not come with

Customer Question

I have replaced the ignition switch; it does not come with immobilizer; how can I program the key; it does not start.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
I've never found a scan tool that will program a honda key other than the dealer's. Have you attempted to start it with the old key taped to the new key? I should pick up the signal from the old key and start unless there is some other problem. This will nail it down as a transponder key issue and would also allow you to start it so you can drive it to a dealer for programming.This is how honda suggests you do it:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have read the bulletin and have questions. The replacement of the ignition switch assembly requires reprogramming the key immobilizer with a PGM Tester. Because I do not have the tester , only the dealer can do the reprogramming of key or I can do the ECM/PCM substitution procedure. This procedure will require replacing a known good ECM/PCM on the test car. If I do not have a good known ECM/PCM, then, I can tape the original key to the new key and try to start temporarily?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
The bulletin talks about replacing the ignition tumbler without replacing the immobilizer module. So if you have a new key but the original immobilizer then you could tape the old key to the new key to get the immobilizer to let the car start by reading the signal from the old key until you are able to reprogram the immobilizer to match the new key. If you replace the ECM/PCM you will need to have a key that matches the new PCM or it won't start unless they are programmed to match one another.