mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I'm seeing dark brown fluid in the radiator overflow in my

Customer Question

I'm seeing dark brown fluid in the radiator overflow in my 08 honda pilot
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my wife said something was leaking so she put a pan under the car to catch the drip. When I got home and checked it the area under the power steering resivoir and radiator overflow was wet. Looking inside the overflow I saw a thick brown liquid. When I dumped it out into a bucket I found thick brown liquid on top of green coolant. Bad head gasket?
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I do a lot of repair myself. If its not to bad I would fix it myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: 115k miles 2.5l v6 engine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.
check your transmission fluid to be sure that you dont have a leaking transmission cooler. antifreeze will ruin your transmission. it could be a head gasket but if you have oil getting into your cooling system you will have it in your oil as well so if you take the oil fill cap off and see foamy oil residue then you have a head gasket.