sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 2011 honda accord shuts off when i hit the brake - pls

Customer Question

hi, my 2011 honda accord shuts off when i hit the brake - pls i need help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a honda. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well, this started few weeks ago. The car works fine while driving , the problem occurs when you hit the brake - the car engine shut off as soon as the car is about to stop - for instance , it shuts down on me when i stopped at a speed breaker !
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes . if i can .
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: well, i have removed the fuel pump and cleaned the filter . this was done yesterday ..please note i do not have any issues starting the car at any time .
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your honda?
Customer: none ! please connect me to a mechanic please
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.
Hello, if you are stopped and hit the brake does the engine stall as well? Do you hear any type of hissing noise under the dash when the brake is pressed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not hear any hissing noise .. the car will stop if you hit the brake. however , this does not happen every time . The car starts perfectly each time .
Thank you for the additional information. When the car is in park idling does the engine speed go up and down?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no. The idle stays constant ! although i might have noticed a low idle speed once in a while because the car shudders a bit when you press the throttle to move forward . i initially thought it was an engine mounting problem but it might be due to a low engine speed ..
Thanks, ***** ***** it may be an idle control valve issue , but would like for another expert to offer their thoughts. I am going to open your question back up, someone should be with you shortly.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!I'm wondering if the torque converter clutch may be coming on as you come to a stop and is killing the engine. The converter clutch is a disc clutch in the front of the torque converter that is turned on to give a mechanical lock between the engine and trans to lower cruising RPM's. If it stays locked when coming to a stop then it will quickly drag down the engine and kill it with much the same feel as stopping with a manual trans without pressing the clutch.Does this seem to be what you're feeling?