HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Starts, but does not crank. JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

starts, but does not crank.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: new battery, new starter, new altenator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: maybe
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: new: timing belt, tensioner pulley, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, map sensor,
JA: Timing belt issues can be costly unless you get the right info at the right time. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the info you need to get this figured out ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I fear it could be the immobilizer unit
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 5 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I need to know a few things. First, what is the make, model, and year of this vehicle? Secondly, is the green key light flashing on the dash while cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7 SOHC. The green light does not flash when I try to start the car (i.e., does not flash while starter motor is turning). I pulled all spark plugs last night, connected a pressure gage to each sparkplug hole, one by one, tried to start the engine for 5 seconds. I have ZERO compression in all 4 cylinders. Timing belt is connected. The timing belt may have been off 2 teeth so I made that adjustment, but have not reassembled to test as I don't think the timing belt being off 2 teeth would prevent the car from cranking. I have new ignition coils and they all pass the spark test. The sparkplugs are fairly new (NGK with less than 20k miles).
Very unusual that there is 0 compression on all cylinders. In fact, I have never seen that before in 13 years. Are you sure you ran the test properly?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK I'll test the gauge on a car that works and get back.
sounds good
any news here? I haven't heard back so I wanted to check in on you