MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

Pearl, I have an elusive overheating problem with my trusty

Customer Question

Pearl, I have an elusive overheating problem with my trusty 91 Accord
JA: Watching the temperature gauge creep up into the red is never fun. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with overheating troubles. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well maintained 91 accord is overheating at idle. Sensors checked and replaced plus an ECU swap. No leaks and fans work - they just don't kick on when they should.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: definitely - i have a reputation in our house for being able to fix most car issues - LOL don't want to lose that rep!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: ECU swap, New OE thermostat, coolant checked and properly bled, fan switch on thermostat housing is new, sensor in the cylinder head and sending unit, too. Fans will work when switch is bypassed.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.

is it only overheating at idle does it cool down when you accelerate?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mike,Yes. It drops back to normal temp when driving. Also, timing belt and water pump were replaced last year.

you are getting a lack of flow somewhere. have you ever used a block seal or cooling sytem sealant?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lack of flow - would that explain why the fans won't kick on when the temp exceeds normal? I did use Bar's Leak last year prior to replacing the timing belt and water pump, but the coolant has been replaced since.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No heater issues either, Mike.

your radiator fans dont come one well thats a new symptom. do your fans come on when you turn on your a/c?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A/C is disabled. Fans kick on when the fan switch is bypassed.

a/c is disabled how so?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i believe i did mention this in my original post that the fans work
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Coolant bleeder was used, so no air in the system either.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OE thermostat. New fan switch, new cylinder head coolant sensor, topped off and bled coolant and newer water pump. Just no fans coming on when they should (under normal idling) when car heats up past standard operating temp.
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 7 months ago.
Hello! I'm gonna try and jump in to help if I can. How are you bypassing the switch for the fans...are you applying manual power to them? If so where in the circuit are you powering them up?
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is chris. if all you say is correct only other thing left is a bad head gasket

you have replaced all elcetrical parts in system. leaving me to believe if the new switch is good you have a head gasket that is just starting to go bad

Expert:  justinsbg replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. It looks like you've had some trouble here. Do you still need assistance?
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 months ago.

Hello welcome to Just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you on this.

I have to ask some basic questions for you.

the water pump was this a Honda part or after market pump ?

also when you installed the thermostat did you install it with the bleeder tab up or down?