Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I drive a 2014 automatic Honda Civic. I drive really fast

Customer Question

I drive a 2014 automatic Honda Civic. I drive really fast all the time. But because it's an automatic and it's only 4cylinders I have to put the pedal to the floor when I went to get going. For example when I'm getting on the freeway and I want to go right over to the fast lane. Or if I've been stuck behind someone slow and I finally get the opportunity to pass them I have to accelerate really fast. My rpms go way up. This is probably a stupid question, but is driving that way bad for my car? Like mechanically? I know it's bad for gas mileage. I just want to know if it's going to damage my car.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for allowing me to help you with this concern today. The answer may be a bit surprising, yes and no at the same time. It will create more wear and tear on both the engine and transmission but the engine is better equipped to handle this type driving while the transmission will wear out much faster than it shouldThe key will be on how well you maintain the Civic with regular servicing-- i.e. oil changes and transmission fluid changes and also how long you plan on keeping it.Does this make sense? If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.