Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

Odssey: 2001 Honda Odyssey Transmission is stuck in D4 and

Customer Question

2001 Honda Odyssey Transmission is stuck in D4 and will not shift out, the D4 light is flashing, Now when I stop the car and turn it off It goes back to normal.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
when the "D" light starts flashing the van is telling you there is a transmission related issue. When this happens the transmission operates in default so you can still drive. If you shift it manually it will shift through the gears. The most likely cause of this would be a faulty pressure switch and dirt transmission fluid. Most of the time it is the 3rd gear pressure switch which is faulty. Scanning the system for codes would confirm which switch it is. I hope this information has helped you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So changing to fluid and filter may help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And is the 3rd gear pressure switch on the inside of the transmission or out side where I can replace it?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
The fluid will help keep it from happening again.The pressure switch would be on the outside of the transmission and should be something you could replace if that is what the issue is. It will require some skills to do especially if it is a 6 speed. You should have the van checked to be sure that is what the problem is.