justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

2007 cr-v w a/c problem

Customer Question

2007 cr-v w a/c problem
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. What exactly is going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 crv a/c problem have no voltage to a/c compressor checked a/c clutch relay ok signal coming to relay missing also check for codes both w my scanner and also using crv no codes
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
With the engine running and a/c switched to ON do both under hood cooling fans run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Is this manual a/c or climate control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iam ok typing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
manual a/c
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
I need you to take a few voltage readings at the compressor 3 pin connector. With the engine running, a/c switch ON, and the connector PLUGGED up tell me what voltage is on the GREEN/RED wire and also the RED/BLACK wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1/4 volt on black and red and bout same on other wire just bit higher
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Now check the RED/WHITE wire under the same conditions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there all about 1/2 a volt w car running a/c on
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
What are you using to check with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
snap on volt meter under volts
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so just to verify you are seeing about 0.250 volts on each of those wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0.520 to 0.380
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
OKay. very unusual. Give me a few
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the signal coming to compressor relay is missing just not sure if hvac control causes that or some thing else i have mitchell on demand just hoping others have ran into this before i can get compressor to work though relay
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few. I'll get back shortly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you not sure we just follow mitchell step by step just was seeing if anyone else come accross this before
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
We can figure it out. I just got busy here at work.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Go back to the GREEN/RED wire at the compressor connector. With the engine running and a/c switched OFF please tell me what voltage is on this wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0.223
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry though you where done
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
These readings are way off and unusual. Are you checking these wires with the connector plugged up or disconnected?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
pluged up as you asked
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i saw a charge on my credit card for 5.00 then one for 23.00 due you know why we didnt make phone call be any other charges other than 5.00 till problem solved
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
are you still looking at problem w a/c
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
my number is(###) ###-####my name is ***** ***** u have some time to spend on job you can call
Expert:  justinsbg replied 12 months ago.
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I've been backed up beyond belief. Are you still needing help?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
r you online tonigh
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ill be leaving for home soon if your to buzy no problem ill handle it
Have you checked system HIGH and LOW side pressures? What are they?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yes it's bout 100 pds each side
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I really think it's a problem w wire coming to a/c clutch relay no change In voltage from a/c switch off or on if I use my test light on wire coming from switch a/c will work fine maybe bad diiode
That wire I asked you to check earlier is the a/c signal wire. There should be around 10 volts on this wire when the a/c switch is off, and close to 0 volts when the a/c switch is pressed on. The a/c switch signals this voltage to ground which in turn activates the a/c relay. If there isn't voltage on this wire the system will not work. It's very strange there isn't any voltage on this wire. Let me look into this a little more tomorrow
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is voltage on this wire but when switch is push not dropping to 0 volts that's why when I use my test light to drop voltage relay turn on a/c compressor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my question is does control unit step do voltage or is there something else that drop voltage to relay when pushing a/c button
Expert:  justinsbg replied 11 months ago.
Okay, you told me there was only 0.250 volts on this wire, but apparently there must be more since you can ground it and the system will activate. Where exactly are you using your test light to ground this voltage? What wire are you putting the tester on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its pcm not switch when a/c button pushed i got it now thanks anyway
I'm sorry, I didn't understand your last response.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
bad pcm
If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to that conclusion? It is not very likely that the PCM is faulty, and I just want to make sure you are on the right track
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Voltage is not changing wire coming from pcm control but a/c switch should drop to zero volts when a/c is push in iam not sure have tested all wiring for short all good
which wire are you grounding with your test light to make the system come on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Red wire from computer
this does not mean the computer is bad.
what are you using to check voltage with? Are you using a multimeter or test light with voltage display?
When I was asking you to check voltage on those wires at the compressor connector what were you using?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think one my question to you was what cause voltage to step down when a/c button is push in ?
I tried explaining that to you. The voltage signal comes out of the multiplex control unit, through the compressor thermal protector, to the heater control panel a/c switch. When you press the switch it grounds that signal voltage which in turn should cause the PCM to ground the compressor clutch relay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was told that if light working on control switch control switch ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've always been using snap on volt meter
try this. with the compressor 3 pin connector plugged up jump the GREEN/RED and RED/BLACK wires together. Leave them jumped together. Start the engine and then try turning the a/c on by pressing the switch. Let me know if that works.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A/c started working it new therm switch
Yep, need a new thermal switch. Please remember to rate me positively so I get credit for my time. We can continue chatting after you rate. Thanks!
Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.Please remember to rate. Thanks!
Hey, just checking in with you because I haven't heard back. Do you have any more questions about this? If not, please remember to rate me so I get credit. Thanks!