Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Harsh upshifts on an 08 pilot. I added an additive, and after

Customer Question

Harsh upshifts on an 08 pilot. I added an additive, and after two days the problem went away, when I drive. When my wife drives, the problem is still there. It is a really hard jerk when it happens.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: A little background. My wife rear ended another car. I think that the body shop "topped off' the ATF during repairs/replacement of the transmission cooler. I have drained and refilled the ATF three times since, then used the additive. Again, the harshness went away 1 1/2 days after the additive, for me, but my wife says it still shifts hard when she drives. I have not ridden with her to experience the rough shifting.
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Prior to the additive, the harsh shifts I experienced were really harsh. I could feel them through the seat, like a kick in the butt.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am sorry to hear about your vehicle. You need to start with having the computer reset. This needs to be done by the dealer or by a shop with the right scan tool. They need to reset the adaptive memory for the transmission. This will allow the computer to recognize the new fluid and change the shifting harshness. If that does not help then it is possible that there is an internal fracture in the forward drive housing from the accident, but I doubt that is the case. Please let me know if you need more help.