Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE

91 Honda Accord F22A4, car ran fine. . .drove it at highway

Customer Question

91 Honda Accord F22A4, car ran fine. . .drove it at highway speed 60-70 mph, parked car for 40 minutes. Came out started car, started fine, then I put it into reverse and the car start to shake, pushed the gas pedal and it was slow to respond, it finally did and evened out then continued to shake and sputtered. I drove it home. When I turned it off and tried to restart it did the same. I checked compression, cylinder 1 had 90, 2 had 70, 3 had 60 and 4 had 120. Decided at that time to replace head gasket as 2 adjacent cylinders had low compression. There was no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Took the head off, had it pressure checked and resurfaced. Clean ERG passages as they were clogged tight, EGR valve held a vacuum, cleaned throttle body, injectors, adjusted the valves, new plugs, new distributor as it looked corroded, new coolant temp sensor, new coolant hoses. Put it back together, started it up, let it come to normal operating temperature, fan came on, bled coolant system of air. Radiator cap was off, car level, heater set to high and off, let fan cycle 5 times while pouring in more coolant before calling it good. Turned off the car, put on the radiator cap on jumpered the service connector, adjusted ignition timing, locked down distributor, rechecked good. Turned car off, unplugged jumper. Reset ECU by pulling backup fuse, 7.5 amp fuse for 15 second. Car still sputters and shakes whether cold or warm. What could cause this, EGR, MAP sensor, ECU, etc? One thing I did notice is after it is warmed up, turn the car off and the cooling fan doesn't come on. I'm thinking this is another sensor, could this cause the ECU to send the wrong injector pulse and make it run this way?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: All in first part
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: Sut coming from tailpipe, think it's carbon, smells like it's running rich. 168,000 miles, timing belt replaced, new water pump, verified timing marks several times.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 6 months ago.
I noticed that no one has responded, so I thought I would ask if you performed another compression check after the head gasket was replaced and what the results were?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did perform another compression check, #1 @ 165, #2 @ 160, #3 @ 145, #4 @ 175.
Man, I am stumped. I will send this back out for others to look at.