HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Element: 2005 honda element wont go into gear once it's started.

Customer Question

2005 honda element wont go into gear once it's started. while car is running, have to pull a wire from under the hood to be able to shift gears. Car went into body shop and didn't have this problem but does now. Could it be fuses, or codes? HELP
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Do you mean you can't move the gear shifter to select a certain gear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
car will start right up but when you push on brake peddle to shift into gear, it doesn't move out of park. unless you keep the car running and lift the hood and pull some wire and get back in the car and it will shift. Had a deer smash front end and went to body shop for repairs, but didn't have that problem when it went into shop. Battery was replaced and other parts, but shouldn't have this problem. Honda is an hour away and afraid to try and drive it there with this problem. Could it be interlock code is needed since replacing the battery or a fuse (shifter interlock)?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
No for the interlock question. There is no such code. So was this wire created to by pass the interlock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say no. Shop showed us that once car is started to open hood and pull connector cable/wire from intake and car will shift into gears. This has to be done each time you start the car up in order to shift gears.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Alright, thanks. Let me look over the wiring diagram for that circuit and gather some information. Give me a few
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just heard from body shop that you have to pull connector/wire from throttle body position sensor to be able to shift into gears after starting the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message + Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the vehicle with you where you can check some things?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's at the shop but can have them check whatever you want.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
okay. I am heading back to work so let me get back with you in about 30 minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...thank you
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
At the TP sensor connector there is a RED/BLACK (Red wire with Black stripe), and a YELLOW/BLUE (yellow wire with blue stripe). I need to know what voltage is on these wires with the ignition switch in the ON position and the connector still plugged up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be right back with you Justin with this info.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Test conditions I mentioned are critical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test done 12 & 5 volts are there. What next?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
That 12 volt reading is very strange.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm that reading because that would mean there is a short to power somewhere in different circuitry. This would create a complex diagnosis.