HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Element: 2005 honda element wont go into gear once it's started.

Customer Question

2005 honda element wont go into gear once it's started. while car is running, have to pull a wire from under the hood to be able to shift gears. Car went into body shop and didn't have this problem but does now. Could it be fuses, or codes? HELP
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 6 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Do you mean you can't move the gear shifter to select a certain gear?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
car will start right up but when you push on brake peddle to shift into gear, it doesn't move out of park. unless you keep the car running and lift the hood and pull some wire and get back in the car and it will shift. Had a deer smash front end and went to body shop for repairs, but didn't have that problem when it went into shop. Battery was replaced and other parts, but shouldn't have this problem. Honda is an hour away and afraid to try and drive it there with this problem. Could it be interlock code is needed since replacing the battery or a fuse (shifter interlock)?
No for the interlock question. There is no such code. So was this wire created to by pass the interlock?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would say no. Shop showed us that once car is started to open hood and pull connector cable/wire from intake and car will shift into gears. This has to be done each time you start the car up in order to shift gears.
Alright, thanks. Let me look over the wiring diagram for that circuit and gather some information. Give me a few
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just heard from body shop that you have to pull connector/wire from throttle body position sensor to be able to shift into gears after starting the car.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message + Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Do you have the vehicle with you where you can check some things?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it's at the shop but can have them check whatever you want.
okay. I am heading back to work so let me get back with you in about 30 minutes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok...thank you
At the TP sensor connector there is a RED/BLACK (Red wire with Black stripe), and a YELLOW/BLUE (yellow wire with blue stripe). I need to know what voltage is on these wires with the ignition switch in the ON position and the connector still plugged up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll be right back with you Justin with this info.
Okay. Test conditions I mentioned are critical
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Test done 12 & 5 volts are there. What next?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 5 months ago.
That 12 volt reading is very strange.
Please confirm that reading because that would mean there is a short to power somewhere in different circuitry. This would create a complex diagnosis.