Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

A/c compressor on my 2009 Honda CRV does not engage, where

Customer Question

a/c compressor on my 2009 Honda CRV does not engage, where is the low pressure a/c switch?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 11 months ago.
Sorry to hear your AC system is not working, but I will help you with your question. This vehicle actually used a 3 wire, pressure sensor. I will attach a diagram with the location and also a wiring diagram. Thank you and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Compressor works when voltage is applied to clutch / coil assay, will jumping sensor switch send voltage to compressor clutch coil assay?
Is there another relay that looks like the one you remove to jump that you could swap in its place to confirm it is the relay that is faulty? If not, we have and issue with a signal getting to the relay, which is pretty rare. Let me know the outcome!Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the location of the ac relay?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Before the ac stopped working, the ac would cool for 2-3 minutes and stop cooling. Could be a defective relay?
It is in a fuse box on the driver side of the engine bay. It is label Mag. clutch relay. You should be able to swap it with any relay that looks similar in that fuse box. Once you swap the relay, start the car and turn on the AC and see if the compressor engages. Let me know what happens!
Could be a relay that has a short in it when it gets hot. Its easy to just swap it over with another one and check. Doing this will tell us a direction we need to go. Thanks!
I am sorry, I forgot to send the diagram, here it is.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The mag clutch is a fuse, 7.5 amps, which is the relay?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The mag clutch is a 7.5 fuse, which is the compressor relay in fuse box?
On the last diagram I sent a few post above this one, the actual relay is the AC compressor clutch relay. That is the one you need to switch with another relay. here is another diagram that may help. This fuse box is located in the engine bay, on the driver side. Let me know what happens. Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay, I will switch relay # ***** with another and let you know what happens
Awesome, thank you! Keep in mind there maybe two or three different styles of relays in there, so if you pull one out that looks different, put it back in its place and try another one till you get one that matches.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I changed the a.c. control relay and I can hear the cooling fan turns on, but, a.c. compressor does not engage. Anything else? Before I contacted you , the compressor turned on when I put 12 volts on the a.c. clutch. Let me know, thanks
Thanks for updating me!
Now we need to see if the relay is getting a signal to turn on, from the AC control head
Can you have someone push the AC bottom while you put a finger on the AC relay and see if it clicks? If it does we have an issue between the compressor and relay. If it doesn't we have an issue between the AC control head and really.ThanksThanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay, I will have someone push the a/c on button while I listen/ feel for click on the a/c clutch relay that I installed, will let you know, thanks,
Ill be looking out for your reply!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay, I have a click on the relay when someone pushes on the a/c button, I can hear the cooling fan come on, but, the a/c clutch on the compressor does not engage. What can I check next? Thanks in advance,
the item in line is the AC compressor, do you have power at the AC compressor connector? If so, you have a compressor issue. If you dont, you have a wiring issue between the Relay and connector on the compressor. let me know the outcome!Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not getting p0wef to the compressor,
Pin number 1 (green and red) and pin number 2 (red and black)Check resistance in OHMS on the AC compressor connector and let me know what you have. If you have an open circut, OL or very high resistance the thermal protector is faulty and the compressor needs to be replaced. let me know!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay, I will check resistance on 2 wire compressor connector; what resistance level on tester do I use? where do I connect tester leads?
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 10 months ago.
There should only be one setting for the Ohm's on the meter. You will check the wires on the AC compressor its self