sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The gear level it wont move to reverse or others gears

Customer Question

the gear level it wont move to reverse or others gears
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 2004 Honda pilot 3.5L
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: ok
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can drive the car due to no shifting
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: maybe
JA: Anything else I can tell the Honda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
This may take 2 people but can you tell me if the brake lights are working?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes I have brake lights when I push the brake pedal
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
When you push on the brake pedal you should hear a click by the shifter which is the interlock solenoid. If the idle speed is too high it will not unlock. There is a small cover that can be removed by prying it off with a screw driver. In that slot you should be able to insert your key and push down to unlock the shifter. If it still will not move then the cable is most likely bad.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't hear the click noise, also when you turn the key on it show like the car is in drive not on park, and yes if I push the level in the small slot it move true the gears but hard
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
and you want for me to pay for this, really
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
why
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cancel my subscription
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The interlock solenoid may not be turning on and off because it doesn't see the trans is in park. You may have a range sensor or wiring issue, or it's possible the shift cable is broken or out of adjustment.Are you able to push the vehicle or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?