Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

DRIVING AND THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR

Customer Question

HI ***** DRIVING AND THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP CAME ON. SOON THEREAFTER WE HEARD SOMETHING POP, AND A LOT OF SMOKE CAME OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. DRIVERS OF A CAR FOLLOWING ME SAID THEY SAW SPARKS, THEN THE SMOKE. WE PULLED OVER AND TURNED THE CAR OFF. PERHAPS UNFORTUNATELY I DIDN'T CHECK THE TEMPERATURE GUAGE. THERE WAS A LIQUID LEAKING FROM THE CAR AND IT APPEARED TO COME FROM THE CENTER OF THE ENGINE. THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER THOUGHT IT WAS OIL. THAT'S ALL I KNOW AT THIS TIME.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Honda Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: NO. ITS AT A AAA RECOMMENDED GARAGE.
JA: OK! The Honda Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A SOUND OF SOMETHING TURNING AT A SPEED EQUIVALENT TO THE SPEED THE MOTOR WAS RUNNING.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me what kind of vehicle this is?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
a 2010 honda odyssey
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are we still connected ?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
Yes, sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
Most of the time this is caused by either a coolant hose or water pump that fails. If it was oil typically this engine does not have any serious engine oil leaks. If the oil filler cap was loose or if the oil filter or drain plug came loose then this will occur. This is assuming that there was no serious catastrophic even.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
would this stuff have caused the malfunction indicator lamp to light up on the dash?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There was a lot of smoke, but no one said anything about smoke from burning. Note that I am old and my nose stopped working a few years ago, so I can't smell anything.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
Either way it can cause the smoke. If the oil got low then the light will come on. If the coolant was low and if the engine started to get hot then the light will come on also.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you ruling out the emission system?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
The emissions system will not cause a fluid leak or a lot of smoke like this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, thanks for your help. I hope it may be the water pump. Thanks Xavier
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 months ago.
Anytime Xavier. If you need anything else in the future please let me know. Have a great rest of your night.