Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

Wrangler sahara 4 door: {QUESTION}I bought this jeep new. It

Customer Question

{QUESTION}I bought this jeep new. It is still under warranty but not much longer. I started hearing a squeezing/chirping noise when it was about 6-7 months old coming from the brakes. The noise started out low but became very noticeable within a couple of months. Took it to dealership. Was told I had break dust. (Ummm NO) within the next couple of months it was so loud I could hear it while driving without applying breaks. Took it in for 2nd visit. Was told the caliper had stuck to rear brakes and they replaced back 2 calipers, rotors, and pads. As by this time it had done damage to all. Fixed the problem. Bout 3 wks ago the noise returned. Exactly the way it started the first time. They drove with me, but could not hear it. Except me..They agreed to fix the problem again if it ended up the same. My question is...what could be causing this to happen? Is it possible that the rear axel was put in slightly wrong? what could be causing the same problem so quickly?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it possible I got a defective jeep. Lemon?
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
It is unlikely that you got a defective Jeep. Nothing would cause the calipers to freeze other than a torn boot or overheating. However, a bad master cylinder or ABS module could cause an issue where the rear brakes are doing most of the braking instead of the front brakes, making them wear out extremely fast. I have heard some things about Jeeps having issues with the ABS module wearing out rear brakes before. You should have the dealership look into that. Good luck!If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you