sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2003 Odyssey passenger sliding door broke in

Customer Question

***** *****. My 2003 Odyssey passenger sliding door broke in the closed position. It won't open at all and had a black cable sticking out the back of the door. Honda is telling me they may just have to drill through the latch
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've tried to open it from the inside and out, but it wont budge. Manually or powered, but I am pretty sure the cable means power is not an option anyway.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Honda generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's been just over 7 hours now... I am scheduled to take the van in for service tomorrow morning, any chance I am going to get at least some response? I thought I was chatting with someone when I paid to ask the question...
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's very possible that the latch is going to have to be destroyed to get the door open. If there is something foreign (such as the cable) closed in the door opening then it will make opening the door again much harder, but it should be able to be forced open.If the latch has failed though, which is usually the case when a door won't open, then the latch will need to be dismantled to get the door open and then the latch will need to be replaced. If the linkage from the handles is still intact at the latch, it's unlocking but the door will not open, then either the latch has failed or it is bound up because of the cable being closed in the door.