Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2009 Honda Civic with air conditioning problems.

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2009 Honda Civic with air conditioning problems. Last summer it quit all together and checking it out the a/c clutch was fried. I replaced the compressor and clutch. The a/c compressor was fine but replaced the assembly as it was cheaper to replace it as a assembly and didn't have to change the clutch. Now I seem to have a problem with the compressor only runs for a short amount of time and kicks out sometimes it takes a while for it to kick back on. I'm thinking that was the reason the clutch burned up. Any suggestions what to check. The freon level has been checked a couple of times. The pressures high and low are fine and should not be causing the compressor to kick out. Is this a ecm problem? I have replaced the high pressure switch just to see if that would take care of it. Thanks
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Car has 105,000 never had any trouble with the transmission
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Runs good
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Honda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. The chat will remain open after rating so you can still get all of the help you need! There is a common problem that can cause your issues. The compressor clutch relay can stick on or fail to work all together. If it sticks on the compressor will shut off due to high pressure until the system pressure drops. It can also heat up and just quit supplying power to the compressor clutch coil. I have included a diagram with the location of the compressor clutch relay. It can be temporarily swapped with the condenser fan relay for a quick test. The best way to be sure is verify power at the compressor clutch coil wire when it's not working. If you don't have power it's a relay or relay control issue. If it does have power you have a bad clutch coil. I have seen several replacement compressor clutch coils fail prematurely. Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!Thank you! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I have already swapped the relay out with no change. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for that information, let me have a look at the wiring and diagnostic info.
Have you checked for power at the compressor clutch coil wire? Do the fans work when the compressor does not?