Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

I have a 2000 crv, it's burns oil so added 2 bottles before

Customer Question

I have a 2000 crv, it's burns oil so added 2 bottles before our road trip but failed to put the cap back on! Discovered the error +200km into our trip, the check engine light came (flashing) on while passing a semi on a hill, went solid and stayed that way until driving up hill when it would flash again. Took it in and mechanic stated code reads miss fire on cylinder 3 and 4, he recommends new spark plugs and wires as 3 and 4 already corroded. A backyard mechanic friend says no way, exhaust burns blue, oil is on #1 spark plug so motor needs to be rebuilt or replaced! Who is right?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer.My name is ***** ***** your description it sounds like both of mechanics are right.If your engine consumes more than 1 quart of oil for 1000 miles and you can see kind of bluish smoke from the exhaust pipe, then it is very likely that your engine is pretty worn and needs to be rebuilt .If your spark plugs are heavily contaminated and have some deposits build up from burnt oil, then at some point it would cause misfiring and your engine control module will illuminate the check engine light .Replacing spark plugs and wires will likely help to eliminate misfiring for some time provided you still have good compression, but later, after some time when burnt oil deposits accumulate on spark electrodes you may have the same issue. Hope that helps
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 8 months ago.
Hi,I am just checking if mt answer helped or if you need more assistance