Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

Went to Autozone last week to have my check engine light tested.

Customer Question

Went to Autozone last week to have my check engine light tested. I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX. The error code that came up was P0401
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: P0401
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Honda Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Honda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope. Thank you
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
The P0401 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the EGR Valve. Many times, this is simply due to low-flow due to excessive build-up in the system. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, clean the intake manifold EGR port with throttle body/intake cleaner and a flat-blade tool, trying to get out as much build-up as you can. Also, clean the passage inside the EGR valve with throttle body/intake cleaner. If the cleaning of the EGR Valve itself does not solve the problem, it will need to be replaced (and still a thorough cleaning of the intake ports as well). For an image location view of the EGR, click here: my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept so I may be credited. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.