Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.

The engine when only in park or neutral revs and the rpm

Customer Question

The engine when only in park or neutral revs and the rpm arrow goes up and down in accordance
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. I have not been paid at this point by JustAnswer, your rating credits me from what you have already paid. The chat will remain open after rating so you can still get all of the help you need!

That's the normal fuel cut(rev limiter) in operation. It's like a wha wha wha as the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors then turns them back on. This prevents over revving damage when the engine is not under a load. It will do the same thing at red line if you hold it in first or any other gear long enough. It's the rev limiter in action!

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it normal? because it didn't do it before is it something I should be concerned with or is the any to make it not make that noise

Does it drive OK otherwise?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea it drives fine but it's doing it more often

I would not worry about it because it's normal. I have seen the rev limit drop lower than normal but when it happens so does the red line when you are driving. It would not go over like 2500 rpm while you were driving it not just when in neutral or park. As long as it drives OK it's fine. By the way nice car! My favorite is the last generation next is the 88-91 body style. My daughter and her boyfriend drive a 91 Si.

Thank you, Honda-Man