Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 2000 honda has been making a grinding sound, and it stops

Customer Question

my 2000 honda has been making a grinding sound, and it stops after a few minutes, and usually occurs when i start it, i think its eith er the stering, or a belt
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. I have not been paid at this point by JustAnswer, your rating credits me from what you have already paid. The chat will remain open after rating so you can still get all of the help you need!

4 or 6 cylinder engine? Does the noise change if you turn the steering?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
6 cylinder, when i start it it makes the noise, then stops after like 5 minutes, and a little bit
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the noise goes away when i steer

OK, it's most likely the power steering pump. Have you checked the fluid?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no, i have not, i think i will go to auto zone and hvae them look at it

Either the pump or maybe a loose belt. The power steering pump has it's own belt so it might be slipping. I would have the fluid level checked and the belt tension. If both are OK the power steering pump is the cause of the grinding noise.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you have any questions after rating feel free to ask!

Thank you, Cliff