Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 135000 miles on it and recently

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 135000 miles on it and recently I started hearing a sound that get louder as I increase speed on the highway. It’s noticeable at 60mph and very loud at 80mph. Could this be a CV joints or the front bearings?
Thank you
Glenn
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 months ago.

Hello Glenn, my name is***** on what the noise sounds like will help me to determine what it is. If you can try to describe that it would help. Most of the time this is caused by a bad hub bearing, but it can also be an axle or even a tire. I hope this helps. Please let me know what it sounds like and we can go from there. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Bobby, I would say its a howling like sound that increases with speed when traveling over 50mph up to 80mph. I don't drive over 80mph and it reduces when I left off the power and as the speed reduces.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. It does sound like a failing bearing. I would start by rotating the tires to see if the sound changes. If it does then it is the tires. If not then it is usually from a bearing.