Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

My friend has a 2002 Honda Civic 4 door and he needs to get

Customer Question

My friend has a 2002 Honda Civic 4 door and he needs to get his exhaust manifold and control arm bushing changed. I've worked on quite a few vehicles before but not a side facing engines that's what's throwing me off. I was wondering how hard it is to change those and if I would be able to or not.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

To replace the control arm bushing, the control arm will need to be removed from the vehicle. The Labor Time Guide calls for 1.3 hours to do one side. After the job is done, an alignment is highly recommended. You will need a ball joint splitter tool and a press to press the bushing in and out. You can usually rent the tools from most local big-chain parts stores.

The Labor Time Guide calls for 1 hour to replace the exhaust manifold. No special tools here. The nuts should not be reused and should be replaced with new slef-locking nuts.

Both of these jobs should be jobs that a DIY'er with some previous experience can handle. I've wrapped up the procedures into a PDF file for easier viewing/printing. Give it a look and see if it's something you feel you can handle. Download the PDF file here:

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.