Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.

My 1995 Honda accord will only run a few seconds after I

Customer Question

my 1995 Honda accord will only run a few seconds after I start it. but it will run if I hold the switch in start position.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It will run about 5 seconds when it starts then dies as soon as I release the key to the run position. If I hold the key in the start position it will run. It seems that the fuel pump does not with key in the run position.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: cccc
JA: Huh?
Customer: checked the fuses all seemed good also it will run with the key in the start position until you release the clutch pedal then die. checked for spark and by passed the utc relay.
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: that's all I can think of.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles.

The problem you describe is a classic symptom of a bad ignition switch. The electrical contacts wear out so the only way it will keep running is to hold the key. Seen this exact problem many times in the past. I have included the instructions and a link(above) to the part information.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 6 months ago.

Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you, Honda-Man