Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

TO A Honda Dealership tech only. (thanks) we are working on

Customer Question

TO A Honda Dealership tech only. (thanks) we are working on a 2000 Civic NG vehicle. The temp gauge runs at the 3/4 mark and above when it gets warmed up and idles, etc. Fans kick on at 200 as designed and the car does not seem to overheat. The scanner shows temp never getting over 205 deg, but it is almost at the "hot" mark on the inside gauge. when you drive it at steady speeds, the air comes through the grille and reduces temps to around 180 and the gauge reads in the center. I installed a used known gauge thinking it may be innacurate. It still reads high even though the temp is 200 deg. Do you have any input on this? it apprears that all is normal except for the gauge reading. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

On some models the engine has two coolant temp sensors.One for the engine computer itself and one for the gauge assembly.If this model here uses two sensors the one for the gauge assembly will cause this incorrect temp reading needing replaced.

I have also seen high resistance in the wiring to the gauge assembly that can cause this type of fault as well needing repaired or replaced to correct this fault here.

I would have this checked into further to see if any of these are the cause here needing repaired or replaced.I know you wanted a Honda Dealer tech only but I saw no one else had replied and wanted to see if I could help in any way here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete