Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2009 Honda Civic DX. I am volt testing A/C control

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2009 Honda Civic DX. I am volt testing A/C control wiring right now and there IS voltage going to the A/C unit although the car is off (and A/C switched off) and key NOT in ignition. I'm doing the test because my battery died over night, and when I had it jumped and running again I noticed that the pipes/tubes for the A/C were frosty (icy build up occurred)...but the A/C switches were off. I'm guessing this is why my battery got drained. I need help.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: A/C has been working intermittently during hot times when use it (more often it does work). When it doesn't, hot air comes out or no air at all (no fan blowing at all). However, it works most of the time. The issue of battery draining has never happened before yesterday.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Honda generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

The problem you are experiencing is actually very common. Honda even has a service article on the exact subject. The A/C compressor relay (39794-SDA-A03) sticks on intermittently. It can cause a dead battery and A/C performance problems. I have included the location of the relay and a link to the part number and price from an online Honda parts site. The relay is in the under-hood fuse box. To verify this is your problem unplug the relay. The A/C won't work but you can make sure the battery does not go dead overnight. Power to the compressor clutch will also not be present. It might even click off when the relay is removed.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

39794-SDA-A03 ebay relay. The relay might be available at your local auto parts store.

Thanks again, Honda-Man

Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you, Honda-Man