sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

EVAP set to inc - 2006 Honda accord.

Customer Question

EVAP set to inc - 2006 Honda accord.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, below is the HONDA drive cycles to perform for each monitor to set to readiness

How to Set Readiness Codes

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Indication (In Relation to Readiness Codes)

The vehicle has certain "readiness codes" that are part of the on-board diagnostics for the emissions systems. If the vehicle's battery has been disconnected or gone dead, if the DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM/PCM has been reset, these readiness codes are reset. In some states, part of the emissions testing is to make sure these codes are set to complete. If all of them are not set to complete, the vehicle may fail the emission test, or the test cannot be finished.

To check if the readiness codes are set to complete, turn the ignition switch ON (II), but do not start the engine. The MIL will come on for 15-20 seconds. If it then goes off, the readiness codes are complete. If it flashes five times, one or more readiness codes are not set to complete. To set readiness codes from incomplete to complete, do the procedure for the appropriate code.

To check the status of a specific DTC system, check the OBD status in the DTC MENU with the HDS. This screen displays the code, the current data list of the enable criteria, and the status of the readiness testing.

Catalytic Converter Monitor and Readiness Code

NOTE:
- Do not turn the ignition switch off during the procedure.
- All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the ECM/PCM is cleared with the HDS.
- Low ambient temperatures or excessive stop-and-go traffic may increase the drive time needed to switch the readiness code from incomplete to complete.
- The readiness code will not switch to complete until all the enable criteria are. met.
- If a fault in the secondary HO2S system caused the MIL to come on, the readiness code cannot be set to complete until you correct the fault.

Enable Criteria

- ECT at 158 degree F (70 degree C) or higher.
- Intake air temperature (IAT) at -13 degree F (-25 degree C) or higher.
- Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) reads more than 3 mph (5 km/h).

Procedure

1. Connect the HDS to the vehicle's data link connector (DLC), and bring up the READINESS CODEs screen for Catalyst in the DTCs MENU.
2. Start the engine.
3. Test-drive the vehicle under stop-and-go conditions with short periods of steady cruise. After about 5 miles (8 km), the readiness code should switch to completed.
4. If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a Temporary DTC with the HDS. If there is no DTC, one or more of the enable criteria were probably not met; repeat the procedure.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control System Monitor and Readiness Code

NOTE: All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the ECM/PCM is cleared with the HDS.

Enable Criteria

- Battery voltage is higher than 10.5 V.
- Engine at idle.
- ECT sensor between 176 degree F (80 degree C) and 212 degree F (100 degree C).
- MAP sensor less than 46.6 kPa (14 in.Hg, 350 mmHg).
- Vehicle speed 0 mph (0 km/h).
- IAT sensor between 32 degree F (0 degree C) and 212 degree F (100 degree C).

Procedure

1. Connect the HDS to the vehicle's data link connector (DLC).
2. Start the engine.
3. Select EVAP TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, then select the FUNCTION TEST in the EVAP TEST MENU.
- If the functions are normal, readiness is complete.
- If the functions are not normal, go to the next step.

4. If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a temporary DTC. If there is no DTC, one or more of the enable criteria were probably not met; repeat the procedure.

Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Monitor and Readiness Code

NOTE:

Enable Criteria

ECT at 158 degree F (70 degree C) or higher.

Procedure

1. Start the engine.
2. Test-drive the vehicle under stop-and-go conditions with short periods of steady cruise. During the drive, decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) for 5 seconds. After about 3.5 miles (5.6 km), the readiness code should switch from incomplete to complete.
3. Check the readiness codes screen for the Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.
- If the screen shows complete, readiness is complete.
- If the screen shows not complete, go to the next step.

4. Check for a Temporary DTC. If there is no DTC, the enable criteria was probably not met. Select the DATA LIST Menu. Check the ECT in the ALL DATA LIST with the HDS. If the ECT is lower than 158 degree F (70 degree C), run the engine until it is higher than 158 degree F (70 degree C), then repeat the procedure.

Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Heater Monitor Readiness Code

Procedure

1. Start the engine, and let it idle for 1 minute. The readiness code should switch from incomplete to complete.
2. If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a temporary DTC. If there is no DTC, repeat the procedure.

Misfire Monitor and Readiness Code

- This readiness code is always set to available because misfiring is continuously monitored.
- Monitoring pauses, and the misfire counter resets, if the vehicle is driven over a rough road.
- Monitoring also pauses, and the misfire counter holds at its current value, if the throttle position changes more than a predetermined value, or if driving conditions fall outside the range of any related enable criteria.

Fuel System Monitor and Readiness Code

- This readiness code is always set to available because the fuel system is continuously monitored during closed loop operation.
- Monitoring pauses when the catalytic converter, EVAP control system, and A/F sensor monitors are active.
- Monitoring also pauses when any related enable criteria are not being met. Monitoring resumes when the enable criteria is again being met.

Comprehensive Component Monitor and Readiness Code

This readiness code is always set to available because the comprehensive component monitor is continuously running whenever the engine is cranking or running.

EGR Monitor and Readiness Code

NOTE:

Enable Criteria

ECT at 176 degree F (80 degree C) or higher.

Procedure

2. Start the engine.
3. Drive at a steady speed with the A/T in D or M/T in 4th gear, 50 - 62 mph (80 - 100 km/h) or above for more than 10 seconds.
4. With the A/T in D or M/T in 4th gear, decelerate from 62 mph (100 km/h) or above by completely releasing the throttle for at least 5 seconds. If the engine is stopped during this procedure, go to step 2 and do the procedure again.
5. Check the OBD status screen for DTC P0401 in the DTC's MENU with the HDS.
- If it is passed, readiness is complete.
- If it is not passed, go to step 3 and retest.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** provided is in my Honda service manual and as I said originally i need help on determining possibly what avenues i would use to detect a leak or reason(s) why my evap system was not working. So the information provided was just not useful. If I had to rate this I would say bad and not direct as i was expecting from someone who works on Honda cars everyday.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

Rate how you wish, that is always up to the customer. As you have a very poor accept ratio which indicates no matter the help I will not be compensated, I will opt out at this point though. If another expert wishes to help, they will reply here. Do NOT reply until another expert replies, otherwise it locks it to me and prevents another expert from helping you

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you aren't setting any evap system related fault codes then the evap system is working. The reason it's showing incomplete is because you cleared fault codes. Clearing the fault code erased memory and now it has to be driven for long enough for all monitors to run and pass. It is set up this way to ensure you don't have a problem, clear codes and then go take it for an emissions test when there is actually a failure.You'll need to continue driving, following the drive cycle information posted above, until the monitor runs and passes.