Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Engine maintenance light is on. Car is CRV Honda 2010. I

Customer Question

engine maintenance light is on. Car is CRV Honda 2010. I know it is the catalistic converter but I don't want to have it fixed. Don't need a smog test where i live. how to turn it off..please
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately the only way to get the light to turn off and stay off with the catalytic converter fault is to see if an after market auto accessory/install facility can reprogram the engine computer to not recognize the fault to keep the light from coming on.

A dealer or repair facility usually cannot do this and the only way they could correct this here to keep it from coming on is to replace the affected catalytic converter and then clear out the codes to turn off the light.

The computer is programmed at the manufacturer to turn on the light when a fault occurs with the catalytic converter due to emissions issues that could damage the environment so a dealer will not be able to do this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete