Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2005 Pilot that developed a oil leak. When the

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Pilot that developed a oil leak. When the dealer investigated, he said that it was the rear head gasket was leaking and that it appeared that one of head gasket bolts was loose/stripped. The had a business come in and do something to the redo the bolt hole and replaced the head gasket ($1600). Now 5 months later, they say it is leaking from the same spot and that my engine can't be repaired and I need to put another engine in. The have given me an estimate of $6000. My motor only has 120,000 miles and works fine. Is there another option?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

If the head bolt threads are beyond repair the block or engine will need to be replaced. There is really no other option as far as repairing the bolt hole. If the repair attempt failed another try to repair it will just make things worse. I completely agree that $6000 is a lot of money. They must be quoting a new short block plus the high labor rate to swap over all of the parts to the new block. A low mileage used engine from a salvage yard would be considerably less. I would ask the dealer if that's an option they would consider? Some dealers won't use salvage yard engines because of the small chance it has unknown problems. Any qualified independent repair facility could do the work too. They usually have a lower hourly rate plus could install the used engine.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man