Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech
Experience:  25 years experience, Subaru&Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru tech
2921078

I have trouble starting up an engine with my 2013 honda

Customer Question

I have trouble starting up an engine with my 2013 honda accord sports. I do have high milage around 100k already. I went to a auto zone to test out its newly replaced battery (3weeks ago)still has 92% . So its not the battery.. but whenever I do jump start engine gets turn on again..
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tested out alternator and came out to be good 2 times out of 3.
Same thing with the starter..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why does engine(jump starts) starts if the starter is bad?? Could it be something else??
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

HI there,

Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It makes "tick tick' sounds when it doesn't starts..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No cranking sir.
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

Ok,

A series of rapid clicks indicates either a weak battery or a bad connection between the battery and the starter. Since it is starting with the jump, this indicates that the battery is weak. It can have the voltage which is 12 and still not have the cranking amperage required to make the starter motor turn. I realize your battery tested at 92%, but I would still question it. It's because the 12 volts makes the starter solenoid work. This is the rapid clicking noise you hear. The starter motor itself however requires amperage. So, check the terminals at the starter and the battery and if they are clean, replace the battery.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will the cleaning the connection between battery and the starter would solve this problem? By cleaning mean, do I need to replace them? Or just wipe out the any visible dusts?
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

There would be corrosion, not dust and you have to clean it off with a wire brush and then put the connection back together. Both at the starter and at the battery.

In my opinion your problem is likely the battery, but I would try cleaning the terminals first. I think it's the battery because the car will jump start without a problem. Usually if it were a corrosion issue, jump starting wouldn't work.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thanks so much!

Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any more questions for me?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im experiencing the problem after cleaning the terminal at the battery. But it does do turn on after awhile I leave the keys in at ignition( about 30 secs before i fully turn to start the engine). Have any idea about this?
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

Does the engine actually crank or not?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After I leave the key(30 sec to 1min) at on position, engine cranks Lil and gets turn on..
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

Hm, it's interesting and doesn't make a stitch of sense to be honest.I could see that working if the issue was a fuel pump and the car won't start, but honestly, it shouldn't have a thing to do with the engine cranking.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What should I do now? Bring it in to honda dealer for a check up? Maybe they could give me full diagnosis...
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 8 months ago.

I think you should have the battery tested again. I realize it was at 96%. Maybe have the dealer check it out with that leaving the key on and then it will crank bit. That is very unusual to be honest. My only other thought would be that there is a security issue and it's taking a few moments to accept the key code. Then once it reads it, then it's turning over.

I guess the best answer for now is to have the dealer check it for any issues with the security system.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thanks so much.