Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2010 Honda Odyssey driver door latch problem, Replaced the

Customer Question

2010 Honda Odyssey driver door latch problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Replaced the door lock actuator and now the inner handle (cable) won't properly operate the latch. It will open the door, but then the latch will not engage when trying to close the door. The outer handle operates the latch properly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Honda generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, I just need know whether it is power or manual locks so I can pull the correct schematics to upload to you so that you can see where the problem is.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
power locks. I replaced the door lock actuator on a 2010 year model!!!
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, I have attached diagrams and directions for the this so that you can make sure you have it connected properly and routed properly. If you do, let me know and we will go from there

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Everything is routed properly. The issue is inside the latch, not the routing of any of the components. See my original question.
I had to remove a screw from the latch assembly in order to replace the lock actuator. In the figure on p6, the two pieces shown on the left come apart once the screw is removed. I believe that I have reassembled it properly. The behavior cannot be replicated with the latch out of the vehicle. The behavior only occurs once the mounting screws (p3, item C) are installed.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Do you see any binding when operating it with the door panel off

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I do not seen any binding with the door panel off. With the latch assembly connected (to the outer handle rod and the cylinder rod) the inner handle cable operates the latch properly. Only when I mount the latch assembly with only 1 of the three mounting screws, the inner handle cable will release the latch, but not reset it properly for a subsequent closing of the latch.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

I will opt out and see if another expert can help. This is one I would need to be there to see what is happening. If another expert can help, they will reply here