mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

1998 honda civic transmission out of range codes p0705 &

Customer Question

1998 honda civic transmission out of range codes p0705 & p0706
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

Are you sure about the year of your Civic? I have been looking over the Honda technician site and can't find toes codes until some years later?

Could the codes be P1705 and P1706?

Sorry for the confusion. The codes you listed must be generic codes. Honda lists them as P1705 and P1706. Both are related to the gear position switch located under the shift lever console. I have include two articles on both codes that might help solve your problem. Most likely the gear position switch is bad. It's possible too that there is a wiring issue between the gear position switch and the engine control module. If you would like the diagnostic flow charts just let me know after providing a rating.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The gear selector is moving on the cluster with the shifter no problem which that is my confusion?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the light on in the cluster or dash is what i mean and from what i read as long as that is working the gear position switch is working

Did you have a chance to read the 2 articles? The code sets very easy it only takes 1 second for the fault to register and turn on the check engine light. You might not notice the lights change when it happens.

I have seen these codes before with what seemed like normal operation of the gear position lights.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have a very hard time clearing the 1705. if i get it to clear. turn car off then on and code pops right back on without shifting out of park. never move it

Might be a ECM issue but so far I have never seen that cause the codes. Do you have a remote start or alarm system? I can send the troubleshooting info if you like. It's very thorough and should solve your problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please. i had a hard time finding one. you guys use alldata. thinking about getting the alldata for shop

I would appreciate a positive rating for the information.

Thank you, Cliff

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok i ran though the test. from what i see D4 is only getting 4volts unlike the rest of them 12v at the range switch. The code pops up when it shifts from D3 too D4. Its getting the 4volts off the computer. the range switch is fine and wire on D4 to computor is good. could there be something drawing the 12 volts down external from computer. im getting the 4 volts right at the circuit board. the circuit board seems fine but cant tell if there is a draw on it. there no aftermarket alarms or nothing. it has the factory door lock and panic remote. thats it. im leaning toward the pcm but just want to be sure there not something drawing it down.

Sorry for the delay.

What circuit board are you referring to? The flow chart will lead you to the cause if you follow the directions correctly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
all trouble shooting charts checked out ok. meggered all the wiring. insulation good.i replaced the range sensor changed and the ecm. Same exact problem. clear codes and drive it and both same codes pop up when it shifts from d3 to d4. This is ex-actually why i used a honda. so i didnt end up replacing parts that did not need to be changed.

Sorry but I am out of suggestions? Please wait for the next expert to reply to you after I opt out.

Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.

hi how can i help. if you can fill me in on were you left off.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Range sensor, ecm replaced. Wiring all checked. Shifts hard from d3 to d4 and 1705 & 1706 codes pop up. I clear them and do again and same thing.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Seems to shift back and forth from 3 to 4 to much and to hard

may be a silly question but have you checked fuses? there is an ecm/cruise control fuse and if it blows it tends to only effect the transmission. and of course cruise control

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All fuses checked. Cruise works

ok just have to start with the basic i have seen many people chase trans issues on hondas and it ends up being that fuse. give me a few moments to look up some more info on these particular codes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll check it again right now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Checked all fuses and cruise fuse. All good

ok i did some research on that particular code. i looks to me that your park/nuetral switch is going bad. it may not be bad all the but that would explain the going between 3/4 too often and hard. i will find a diagram to attach so you can test this sensor. they are pretty common to go bad on a lot of vehicles. and reasonably easy to change.

i have attached a photo of how the switch operates. you will want to check for continuity on each position. make sure and check that that other positions do not have continuity while in another position. I.E. if you have it in 4 make sure 4th has continuity but no other position does. and wiggle the shifter a bit to make sure it doesnt have a dead spot while testing each position.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Already done this but with do again

if everything has tested out normal i would be looking at the nuetral safety switch on the tranmission itself. i am having a difficult time finding a diagram of it but i will continue to look.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks

i am sorry i cannot find any clear diagrams. i would recommend changing the nuetral safety switch first before continuing. these transmissions also have problems with shift solenoids. but i would expect them to throw different codes than what you have.